Highlands School, 148 Worlds End Lane, London
Post CodeN21 1QQ
Highlands School was judged by OFSTED to be OUTSTANDING in March 2011 and also again in March 2014. Highlands is a National Support school able to offer support and expertise to other schools. The Head teacher is a National Leader of Education and the Chair of Governors is a National Leader of Governance. In 2014 Highlands was designated a “National Teaching School” by the National College, and formed the Pan Enfield Alliance (PEA) together with the following: Grange Park Primary, Durants School, Wilbury Primary, Winchmore School, Enfield Secondary Tuition Centre, Highfield School and Tottenham Hotspur Foundation. The school currently has 1200 students in Years 7 – 11 and 346 in the Sixth Form.
There is an inclusive resource base on site for Hearing Impaired students which enhances both the Local Authority's and the school's inclusive ethos. There are now 12 hearing impaired students. We are members of Partnership in Excellence (PIXL) which is a collaborative national organisation sharing good practice across schools. 2 members of the senior team are associates of PIXL, and support other schools.
Highlands opened in September 2000 with an intake of 210 students into Year 7. From 2001 we have admitted 240 students annually and we are officially an 8 form entry school.
The school was the first completely new additional school built under the Private Finance Initiative (PFI). This means that the school was built by a private company, in our case, Equion plc working with John Laing Ltd, financed by a consortium of banks. Enfield Borough Council have a contract to repay John Laing over 25 years. During that time, John Laing provide the facilities management for the school which includes running the premises, providing furniture and basic equipment and managing the school lettings after hours. The school itself remains a community comprehensive, which is funded by the local authority through a delegated budget in the same way as all the other borough schools.